House fire hits Oak Avenue Parkway neighborhood

Damage pegged at $250k
By: Don Chaddock, The Telegraph
-A +A
An observant UPS delivery driver may have helped keep a fire contained to just one structure. It started out as an average day for David Garrett until he drove by a home shortly after noon Tuesday in a quiet neighborhood off of Oak Avenue Parkway. “We drove by and there was smoke coming out of the roof,” Garrett said. “So we called the fire department.” He jumped out of the truck and banged on the door of the house located in the 100 block of Deerwood Way. “(I) knocked on the door and smoke was coming out from underneath,” he said. “The dogs were coming around to the fence, so I know they had a way to get in and out. Luckily, there was nobody home.” A neighbor heard the commotion. Dwayne Thompson said he peeked out but didn’t notice the fire. The home sits behind a number of large trees and shrubs that shield it from the road. "I looked out and saw the (delivery) driver. The dogs were barking and going crazy. There was all this noise," Thompson said. "(The driver) must’ve seen the fire." He said that’s when the fire engines and police cars rolled in. After arriving at the scene, homeowners Elizabeth and Rob Tyler were able to get their dogs to safety. “I was out picking up stuff for my husband’s shop,” Elizabeth Tyler said, choking back tears and visibly shaken. “I have six cats. God only knows where they are now. My dogs are fine.” Folsom Fire Chief Dan Haverty spoke to the couple as fire crews worked on the home. “I’m sorry for your loss,” Haverty said. Elizabeth Tyler broke down in tears, hugging Haverty as he tried to comfort her. Units from Sac Metro and Folsom Fire departments, as well as Folsom Police Department, responded to the Tuesday afternoon two-alarm fire, which caused $250,000 in damage and left the home "uninhabitable," according to Haverty. He said the cats managed to get out safely. Thick smoke was coming from the attic and the fire was "moving from under the floor" at the rear and living room areas, he said. According to Haverty, crews were still putting out hot spots at 2 p.m. There were no injuries and the cause of the fire is under investigation.